Mentorship. Diligence. Teamwork.
The goal of the football program is to guide and motivate young people to be the best on the field and in life. We find that if we lead by example with hard work, self-discipline and consistency, we can influence our kids to do the same.
Many of our students have gone on to compete at the high school and college level. We even have a few alumni who went on to play professional football! Often, students come back to volunteer as coaches for the younger kids.
Age: Our football program covers ages 6-14, but students play within age-appropriate groups (6-7, 8-10, 11-12, 13-14)
Timing: Starts in July and ends in November
The secrets to our success:
- Make sure the coaches believe in themselves, love what they do, believe in what they are doing
- Lead by example: students learn by seeing. Coaches outwork students – it’s contagious!
- Get the kids to believe in the coaches as people. They will only follow someone they can trust.
- Build the students’ self esteem by listening to them.
- Coach them to be their best. On the field, at school at home.
- Coaches care for students as you would their own children.
“We do more than just coach them to win games. We mentor them. Sometimes it takes visiting them in school to talk to the children’s teachers and guidance counselors, and combine that with working with them on the field. We stay in contact in the off season, sometimes training in the gym to keep them at their best. That’s what a good coach does. That’s what a mentor does.” – Mike Martin, JCPAL head coach